On Sunday 11th September I facilitated a Creative Arts Therapy workshop in Castlemaine for a group of willing participants.
It was a small, intimate group which opened up possibilities for safe and supportive co-inquiry.
The focus of the workshop was to explore the present moment. A moment experienced presently in the participants lives which they were curious to bring into their awareness.
The group was invited to engaged with several process' leading gently on from each other.
- a warm up "fast" drawing exercise to loosen up the creativity flow
- a gentle Mindfulness exercise - to assist participants to drop into the present moment
- selecting and co-inquiring into images of contemporary artworks which represented their chosen "present moments" (involved writing down key words as each person described what images they had chosen)
- a movement and painting experience, amplifying a chosen part of their experience thus far and also responding to the music playing
- written reflection of the experience of this
- reflecting on this process in a group sharing (key words noted)
- participants responding to each other's shared representations and description of their experiences
It was a true honour to be able to hold space and witness the group immerse in the process. The painting experience held a lot of energy for me, especially the participants moving their bodies to the music and seeing the paintbrushes and other painting tolls as extensions of their bodies. Painting in this way seems to free up the creative process and the images seem to emerge and transform as the music changes and the experience expands and changes.
Thank you all for generously participating in this co-inquiry, for allowing me to document your artworks / process and for your feedback.
Here are some of the reflections of the workshop that participants have allowed me to share:
"It was very safe - mainly because there were no imposed judgements and time for reflection between activities".
"Under Natalya's gentle coaxing many ideas and associates found a thread of thought to string themselves along. Following this thread was a real adventure".
"Natalya created a safe and warm space for entering a journey that unfolded gently for me to explore a moment of my life experience using an array of stimulating activities".
"I loved the opportunity to inquire and reflect on my life in new ways that are so meaningful and supportive for me".
"Natalya is a genuinely kind, sensitive and skilled companion and I highly recommend her to anyone seeking to use creative arts processes and arts therapy".
"Natalya provided a safe, supportive space for creative expression that encouraged a complete journey through what emerged. I felt the process was well rounded and left me feeling content".